Aquanox Deep Descent is a deep sea submarine shooter that is currently being developed in a collaboration between Nordic Games and Digital Arrow. The game was successfully Kickstarter funded in September of 2015. The release date has not been announced. Deep Descent is a re-imagining of the original franchise and also incorporates elements from the unreleased THQ underwater action game called Deep Six. The game does not tie directly into the original series but players of the original games will still recognize the foundation of the story.
The combat is entirely vehicle-based and focuses on dynamic shooter action. The weapons, physics of being in a high pressure deep sea environment, unexpected or restricted movement and undersea fauna all tie in to making each game experience unique. Other key elements that change drastically due to the setting, are the level design and the range of sight.
- Fight - Action-packed vehicle shooter combat that supports a wide variety of play styles
- Co-op - 4 player drop-in co-op, with four unique pilots who are all involved in the game story
- Customize - Create your ship from an extensive range of ship pieces and various customization options
- Explore - Discover the deepest corners of the ocean
- RPG Elements - Mining, salvaging, trading and looting
- PVP - Classic multiplayer modes, including Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch Dogfighting
The World of Aqua
The game is set hundreds of years after a cataclysm has forced humanity to abandon the surface of the Earth and populate the oceans. The scarce remainders of the human population struggle to survive in loose settlements. Traditional countries have ceased to exist, instead powerful factions battle for supremacy and control over the resources of the deep sea.